Few thoughts on that catch:
- Goldsmith goes from mild-mannered baseball announcer guy to full-on raging Jim Ross pro wrestling announcer in about .02 seconds there. Some serious meat grinding on that call, wow.
- I would wager that the thought of NOT going into the stands to catch that ball never crossed Shawn O'Malley's mind.
- Check out middle aged blazer guy who's foolishly trying to catch the ball get TRUCKED by a flying O'Malley. That's O'Malley's ball, fella, and don't you forget it.
- If plays like this are how the Willie Bloomquists of the world are created (first Google image search result), then perhaps we should pump the brakes a little bit on the hype train.
- On the other hand, we're playing with house money here on O'Malley, there is no giant contract, so let's keep the gravy train rolling, shall we? I, for one, welcome our new Grit Overlord.
- Left to right:
- Woman in King's Court shirt: "'Cause nothin' lasts forever / And we both know hearts can change / And it's hard to hold a candle / In the cold November rain."
- Guy in blue Mariners shit: "Pretty good catch, but why does he gotta hot dog it like that? Respect the game, man."
- Guy in Under Armour shirt: "God baseball is so boring."
- Guy in striped shirt: "Baseball fucking rules, you guys."
- Guy in blue jacket & black hat: "This is coolest thing I've ever seen in my life." /Beavis voice
- Woman in Yankees hat who is definitely not Rosie O'Donnell: "Hah, that's a great play. I remember back when we were filming 'A League of Their Own' and my girl Madonna jumped into the stands to make a catch, and we're weren't even filming! It was between takes! Man, that lady, I tell ya. No off switch. Landed in some schmuck's lap."
- Cup of Lemonade held by phantom hand: "For the love of god, someone drink me already!"
Summer 2016 is officially the Summer of O'Malley.